Who We Are
Manufacturer’s Edge (ME) is a private-non-profit consulting company serving Colorado manufacturers for the past twenty-five years as the U.S. Department of Commerce Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP) Center for Colorado. We are a mission-driven non-profit run like a business and are a progressive consulting company evolving a new model for client engagement. As the MEP Center, we are part of a national network of 51 such Centers across the country and are members of a larger community that is growing manufacturing in the US.
ME is looking for a creative and high-performing individual based in Colorado who can lead and manage the ME team to strengthen ME’s presence in Colorado manufacturing and expand services to markets beyond manufacturing. The CEO position is a strategic position focused on high-level strategic leadership of ME as well as external relations and partnerships. The CEO directly manages the COO, CFO, and Director of Marketing and has overall responsibility for the success of the organization as a business and as an MEP Center.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate has significant senior management experience at the CXX level in a larger organization and is experienced with Federal funding programs, grant acquisition and management, working with Federal and state legislators and their staffs, and non-profit management. Familiarity with manufacturing practices and trends is a plus as is familiarity with the MEP and ME. ME is looking for someone who has achieved demonstrated success in their career and has a diverse job experience background.
With the renewed emphasis on manufacturing across the country and in the Biden administration, the National MEP program will experience significant funding growth over the next two years. Because of that potential funding, the ideal candidate will also have experience in leading a growing organization and developing new programs and initiatives in a changing environment. (ME’s strategic plan targets growing the company from a $4M to a $20M company by 2030.)
The CEO is responsible for the health and sustainability of Manufacturer’s Edge and is largely focused externally and strategically.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities include but are not limited to:
- Be ultimately accountable for the performance of the organization
- Be the external face of the organization to the larger community
- Actively engage with state and federal legislators to promote ME and MEP interests
- Develop and grow the management team (mentoring, counseling, etc.)
- Maintain team morale
- Demonstrate and model high ethical standards and behaviors
- Ensure the highest accounting and financial management standards and practices
- Ensure long-term financial viability
- Oversee all Financial Management activities of the organization
- Work with the management team and the board in creating and implementing the organization’s vision, mission, and strategy
- Develop the right strategic partnerships to deliver the strategy
- Identify, analyze, and mitigate short-term and long-term business risk for the organization
At ME we firmly believe that finding the right people is the key to building a great business for ourselves and our clients. We are deliberate about recruiting talented and professional people. We know employing a team rich in diverse thoughts, experiences and opinions allows our employees and community to flourish. Toward that end, we have been intentional in defining and living a set of cultural values that drive our team. ME is an equal opportunity workplace and we are committed to those Core Values:
· We are Mission Driven
· We are Trustworthy
· We are Respectful
· We are Stronger Together
· We are Proactive
Leadership/Management Style and Approach
The ideal candidate is an experienced leader, advisor, and mentor as well as being an experienced manager, with an emphasis on leading versus managing. The ME management team and the entire staff work well as a team and are best led by working as a team with the CEO to develop goals, programs, and initiatives and then being trusted to execute those plans with appropriate oversight. The team expects and welcomes strong and consistent leadership and involvement from someone who understands the details of the company but does not micromanage the operations of ME. The CEO is also looked to as a strategic problem solver assisting the team to overcome obstacles to the company’s growth. Overall, the ME CEO embodies “the buck stops here” ethos.
Desired Candidate Qualifications
- Senior management experience at the CEO or COO level in an organization larger than ME
- Demonstrated strategic thinker
- Strategic planning experience
- Leadership training and/or experience (military, executive training programs, etc.)
- Experience creating and growing new and sustainable initiatives (new products, company divisions, new services, etc.)
- Experience developing and/or managing budgets
- Experience leading, growing, and motivating teams
- Proven mentor
- Living in or willing to move to Colorado
- Experience developing company KPIs and monitoring company performance
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
Optional “Plus” Candidate Characteristics
These are not required but do improve a candidate’s overall appeal to ME.
- Experience with federal funding programs, grant acquisition, and management
- Non-profit senior management experience
- High national and/or Colorado personal profile and visibility
- Experience working with Federal and state legislators
- Awareness and familiarity with the national MEP program and Manufacturer’s Edge
- Understanding, experience, or deep familiarity with manufacturing
- Experience serving on fiduciary boards (non-profit preferred)
- Industry awards and commendations (especially for leadership, service, and mentoring)
- Master’s degree or higher from an accredited institution
Applying for the CEO Position
Qualified candidates should submit materials to email@example.com (please use the subject: ‘CEO Job Search”.) Include a resume, a cover letter which includes an explanation of how candidate qualifications match the “Desired Qualifications” and “Optional Characteristics”, and at least two professional references.
About Manufacturer’s Edge
As the NIST Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP) Center for Colorado, ME delivers comprehensive, proven solutions to Colorado manufacturers through coaching, training, and consulting services that meet critical needs from process improvement and workforce development to specialized business practices including supply chain integration, innovation, and technology transfer. The MEP National Network consists of 51 MEP Centers, one in every state and Puerto Rico, and over 1,400 trusted advisors in over 385 MEP service locations. ME works with MEP partners across the country to provide clients with access to resources and consistent quality services and programs wherever are located.